
A month ago we began giving the girls an allowance. We want to teach them more about managing money, so we gave each girl three jars in place of their piggy banks -- Save, Spend, Give. Each week they receive a certain amount of money for each jar. At present, Cambria receives a dollar in each jar and Avery receives 50 cents. Cambria loves it. Now she knows exactly how much she has to spend on something or how long she might have to save her "spend" money to buy an item she wants. She's getting VERY good at addition as a result of her "spend" jar. :-)
We don't have a chore list at this time (it will come, though -- laugh all you want, mom), but for now, they generally have to get dressed, make their bed, brush teeth, and clean up their mess around the house. This "chore" idea will come together more in the next few months.
Cambria is showing more interest in helping around the house. She particularly likes to empty the dishwasher. For now, instead of making her hate the dishwasher, I will not give it to her as a permanent chore. However, I have told her that she can make extra money if she wants to empty it. So, yesterday she and Avery emptied the entire thing and I paid them 50 cents and 25 cents respectively. It was the best 75 cents I ever spent. :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment