Saturday, February 06, 2010

Sharing rooms

It's been a long time since my last post. Since then we've had a new addition to our family -- Eliana Grace Lee. She was born January 1, 7 lbs. 11 oz.

Life with four girls is incredibly busy. Eliana is not an efficient nurser, so after pursuing a few avenues, I gave up trying to nurse her. It's difficult to teach a baby to breastfeed when you have 3 other young children. I've been pumping three times a day, but now that she's 5 weeks old I am beginning to wean myself from pumping, as well. It's also too demanding on my family to have me pumping for several hours out of my day. Most times I can only pump on one side at a time, so as to keep a hand free for dealing with kids.

Today we moved the girls around in our two "kid" bedrooms. Now, Cambria will be sharing a room with Eliana (or she will when I get tired of having Eliana in our room). Avery and Carys will be sharing a room. Carys has never shared a room with anyone. I'm curious to see how Avery and Carys do with each other since they are lighter sleepers than Cambria.

We did have a precious moment tonight. Jeff and I returned from a date night to find Carys awake. My brother and sister are visiting and were babysitting. They put Carys to bed in her new room and Avery to bed in our room. It would have been a bit much to have them put both girls together on their first night in the new room.

When we arrived home, I went to give Carys a bottle and laid her in her new crib in her new room. She began to cry. Avery wasn't in the room yet, so I asked her, "Would you like me to put Avery in her bed?" She shook her head yes. I brought Avery in and Carys said, "Avery" in a very affectionate voice. Avery was slightly awake and said, "Don't worry, Carys, I'm here." It was a moment I will never forget...by the way, they went right to sleep.

5 comments:

amy said...

Oh so sweet...that makes me tear up...reminds me of my girls and how they reassure each other ( and Knox). It's encouraging to have those precious moments amongst all the chaos!

Kristina said...

Yay! I'm glad the night ended so well. Hopefully they both stayed asleep all night. So sweet!

I bet Cambria and Eliana will do great together. Although I am so tired of Evan and Anna sharing a room, they really have done quite well and Evan is such a heavy sleeper that he never wakes up if Anna wakes up during the night. It's just the morning time that is hard because Anna usually wakes him up a little early. But other than that, it really has gone very well.

rebecca said...

oh my gosh, tears just came to my eyes! how sweet! It is moments when both boys are laughing together that just fill my heart with so much joy and make me so glad I've had more than one kid!

Lindsay Barry said...

We'll be entering into the room sharing dilemmas in the coming years, so I'll be eager to see how it goes.
As for nursing, only you can decide what is best for all of you. I do have to say that a hospital grade pump and a hands-free pumping bra (http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/) have changed my life.
Best of luck and we are so inspired by you and Jeff.

Christina said...

All right! I'm crying! How totally precious. So so sweet.